Welcome back to the Bar Exam Toolbox podcast! This episode is part of our “Listen and Learn” series, where we review substantive areas of the law that you’re likely to encounter on the bar exam. Today we’re talking about supplemental jurisdiction, which you may see as part of a larger Civil Procedure essay question involving jurisdiction, or as a multiple choice question on the MBE.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is supplemental jurisdiction?
- The rules of supplemental jurisdiction and some related examples
- Going through two questions involving jurisdiction, from the July 2012 California bar exam and the February 2015 MEE
- Identifying the original basis of jurisdiction
- How to apply the rules of supplemental jurisdiction to diversity of citizenship and federal cases