Hi, I’m Alison Monahan, one of the co-founders of the Bar Exam Toolbox. I’d like to introduce you to our Self-Study Program, something I wish I’d had when I studied for the bar exam! Why? Because I studied independently for both of the exams I took (Massachusetts and California). I passed both (thank goodness!), but the whole experience was a lot more stressful and inefficient than it really needed to be.
The goal of the Bar Exam Self-Study Program is to give you the tools and support you need to pass the bar without an expensive course — which may not even work with your life. (For me, I was working a BigLaw job while studying for the California exam, and I only had a few weeks to focus on the test. Even in Massachusetts, I was working a pre-clerkship job to support myself while studying. In neither case could I devote hours a day to videos explaining law I’d already studied in law school!)
The Self-Study Program combines several useful tools we’ve developed for our own bar exam tutoring students with detailed study schedules for different scenarios (part-time, full-time, studying while working, etc.). You’ll also find strategies and exercises we use with our own students, to ensure you’re giving the bar examiners what they’re looking for.
The goal is for you to feel confident as you prepare for the bar exam independently. Please read on for more details!
How does the Self-Study Program help you prepare for the bar exam?
- We help you evaluate your study options with a detailed self-evaluation questionnaire and expert feedback from our Bar Exam Toolbox tutors
- You get access to a variety of detailed study schedules that can be customized to fit your individual study needs (for both full-time and part-time studying)
- You get helpful strategies and exercises on essay and performance test writing, studying the substantive law, preparing effectively for the MBE, and managing stress and anxiety — through handouts and videos all organized in a handy online course format for easy access
- You get access to our popular Writing of the Week (WOW) workshop to build accountability and ensure you get the most from your practice time ($235 Value)
- You get access to our Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop for additional accountability and guided MBE practice (a $149 value)
- You get access to the Brainy Bar Bank, which easily allows you to find real practice questions, by topic or frequency ($95 Value)
- You get a complimentary copy of Smart Bar Prep Standard outlines to help with your substantive review (and our materials include suggestions on how to effectively use these to study the substantive law) ($124 Value)
- You have the opportunity to upgrade to a program that includes access to one season of AdaptiBar (and we have strategies for making the most of your AdaptiBar practice) ($395 Value)
- You have the opportunity to upgrade to a program that includes a customized study schedule and Asana project created for you by one of the Bar Exam Toolbox experts
- You have the opportunity to work with a Bar Exam Toolbox tutor on a limited basis, if you feel like you need some additional support
We’ve developed the Self-Study Program to support repeat takers, those studying for the first time (who want to go it alone — but not totally alone), and those sitting for the attorney version of each exam.
What have previous Self-Study students said about the program?
I wanted to let you know that I passed the February 2021 [UBE]! I cannot thank you and bar exam toolbox enough for all your help and the program I purchased. The self-study bar prep schedule for people working was just exactly what I needed to pass. The resources you guys provide are amazing and the assessments that are done before starting to study really helped me as a repeat taker to know where I needed to go and what I needed to work on. Your program gave me the confidence to be able to study and work full time. I want to say thank you, thank you for your patience in responding to all my emails and all the resources provided. It is a huge relief to have passed the bar exam, and I owe bar exam toolbox for that! – February 2021 exam taker
After failing the February 2018 California bar exam, I knew I needed to find a program that catered to my specific studying needs and was cost efficient. Thanks to the Bar Exam Toolbox Team, I found exactly what I needed to pass the July 2018 bar exam!! The requested self-study questionnaire submitted to review and highlight any weaknesses in my previous study approach, the self-study plan that took into account that I was sitting for the attorney exam, and the access to an abundance of essay and MPTs made the difference!! I am now on my way to being licensed in three states and can officially say that I took my last bar exam ever!!!! Thank you!! – July 2018 exam taker
I was a repeater who was losing hope on ever passing the bar. As you become a repeater it becomes harder and harder to find the time to study and prepare. I had issues on essays and Performance Test and this program was amazing. It helped to break down the writing part of the exam to its most basic level such as how to outline, format an essay and time management. Sometimes as a repeater or first time taker, it’s a good idea to go back to the basics. There was also a schedule that was easy to follow and made it flexible for those who are not studying full time for the bar. Plus, the creators of the program really do care about you which is not something you can say about other programs. Getting the news that I passed the California bar exam was one of the most emotional experiences of my life. Thank you barexamtoolbox I’d recommend your program to anyone studying for the bar exam. – October 2020 exam taker
Bar Exam Toolbox is an excellent resource for students seeking to study for the bar on their own. I had taken the traditional bar exam courses and while they were helpful in condensing the vast amount of knowledge that was learnt in law school into 3 months, Bar Exam Toolbox actually provides many resources that help prepare for the exam itself by emphasizing numerous practice tests, reviewing your performance, and taking what you learned with you to the next practice exam. I was working fulltime while studying for the exam and Bar Exam Toolbox easy-to-access resources helped me plan my weekly study sessions. The Bar Exam Toolbox also worked well in conjunction with the Bar Exam Toolbox podcast which I would listen to on my walks to help me stay sane during the weeks of lockdown during Covid. – October 2020 exam taker
Thank you so much! Your program was a huge reason I passed this exam. – October 2020 exam taker
I especially found the analysis aid my writing and the schedule I needed to follow helpful! – October 2020 exam taker
Ready to Get Started?
The Bar Exam Toolbox Self-Study Program is available for both the California and UBE bar exams.
Learn more about the specific courses and purchase here:
If you have any questions about the Self-Study Program, please drop us a line.
To learn more about our other bar exam courses and tutoring options, check out these helpful links:
- Learn more about the Writing of the Week (WOW) workshop
- Learn more about the Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop
- Learn more about the Brainy Bar Bank
- Learn more about bar exam tutoring
Best of luck on the bar exam!