I wanted to help you get started with this process by putting together a packing list for bar studiers.
- What you are going to wear on each exam day: You want to wear something comfortable and with layers. If you are taking the exam in a jurisdiction with a strict dress code (yes, Virginia, we are talking to you), the same rule still applies. Try to keep things simple though, so you don’t have to pack tons of stuff.
- Workout clothes: If you are planning to exercise while you are at the hotel, pack clothes for working out.
- Toiletries: You are adults; you know what to bring.
- First-aid kit: You want to bring with you any medications and first-aid type items you think you might need. You don’t want to have an upset stomach one morning and have to find time to run to the drug store before the exam!
- Food: I discussed earlier this week the importance of planning your food. So make sure you make a list of all the food you are going to bring.
- Drinks: No, not beer (although the guy in the hotel room across from me went through a case of beer during the exam!). Bringing drinks with you to the room will help to keep you hydrated and prevent you from having to go out for them.
- Entertainment: DVDs, downloaded TV shows, a good book or two, it doesn’t really matter what—but you need to bring with you something to do in the evenings that you will find relaxing.
- Study materials: Just bring what you will actually need. For most students this is just a compilation of attack plans and outlines, not the full review materials. Please don’t bring a box of your review books. You will never go through them.
- Comforts of home: Do you need your own pillow? A yoga mat? Other than bringing your pet with you, feel free to bring some comforts from home to make the space as soothing as possible.
- Test-taking materials: These include your computer, clock, earplugs, ticket, zip-lock bag, pens, highlighters, pencils, etc. Have them all put together and ready to go for test day.
Anything else to add to this list? Please include in the comments!
If you enjoyed this post, you might want to check out these:
- Bar Study Tips: Food Is Fuel
- Bar Study Tips: Getting Mentally Ready for the Bar Exam
- Bar Study Tips: Sleep, Sleep and More Sleep
Are you getting our helpful weekly newsletter? No? Well, sign up now!