If you’re looking for helpful resources to set you up to pass the First-Year Law Students’ Exam, you’ve come to the right place!
Please read on for details of our FYLSE-specific study materials, designed to empower you to prepare for the Baby Bar efficiently and effectively, on your own. If you’re interested in tutoring, please look at our FYLSE tutoring options.
If you have any questions about what’s right for you, please feel free to contact us and we’d be happy to help!
Ready to get started? Sign up and get started right now.
FYLSE Self-Study Program
The Bar Exam Toolbox team developed the FYLSE Self-Study Program to help you manage your own study, with the resources and tools you need to be prepared on test day.
We’ve taken the knowledge gained from many years of helping students find exam success and created this program to help you formulate your bar exam study plan, learn the substantive law, write passing essays, handle the multiple choice successfully, and keep your cool on test day.
The Self-Study Program includes access to FYLSE-versions of our popular California Writing of the Week (WOW) Workshop, the Brainy Bar Bank, and the Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop, along with sample study schedules, exercises to develop strong writing skills, and other useful advice. All included materials cover only the topics tested on the FYLSE: Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts. The FYLSE Brainy Bar Bank contains actual FYLSE questions, from 2012 to the present.
Want to learn more? Read on for all the details about the FYLSE Self-Study Program. Or sign up now and get started today!
Writing of the Week (WOW) Workshop
If you’re taking the FYLSE, you know you need to practice, right? Easier said than done, unfortunately! Often, students feel like they can’t practice until they’ve learned all of the law.
The Writing of the Week (WOW) program turns this idea on its head – we give you an attack plan to each subject area and also explain the law you need for each specific question (one each from Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts). You’ll outline your answer, check it against ours, then write your answer and compare it to our sample answer. Short videos walk you through the whole process, and you can start as soon as you like.
Here’s how it looks.
You’ll have one essay each in Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts, so you’ll have a clear idea what the examiners are looking for in each topic area.
FYLSE Brainy Bar Bank
The Brainy Bar Bank is your one-stop shop for FYLSE practice questions. The BBB makes it quick and easy to find what you want, whether that’s working on a specific topic or practicing a heavily-tested area.
Practice is critical. But targeted practice is even more important. Instead of just doing questions randomly, you want to ensure you’re focusing on the most commonly-tested areas and on your personal weak spots.
The FYLSE Brainy Bar Bank collects real FYLSE essay questions from 2012 to the present, more than 70 questions total. Each essay question is categorized by area of law (Torts) and one or more specific topics (Negligence, Assault, etc.).
You can browse by legal categories or topics, mark your favorites, view the most- to least-commonly tested categories/topics, and easily keep track of questions you’ve recently seen.
Here’s what it looks like.
For multiple-choice practice, you’ll get access to all of the FYLSE topics from the Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop, where we walk through individual MBE questions and give you the opportunity to practice related questions and test your knowledge. Contracts and Torts both have five videos and practice problems, and Criminal Law has three.
Here’s what it looks like.
Template Study Schedules
To help you plan your study time, you’ll have access to two easily customizable sample study templates: one for full-time study and the other for part-time study. Each includes a Word version and also an Asana template. (Asana is a free program we encourage students to use to plan their study time.)
If you’d like the Bar Exam Toolbox to prepare a custom study schedule for you and put it into Asana, that’s available as an add-on option.
Here’s what the final result looks like in Asana.
Practice Exercises and Other Materials
The FYLSE Self-Study Program also includes two practice exercises to help you develop your writing skills:
- Working with the Facts
- Outlining Your Answer
These will help develop the fundamental skills you need to consistently write passing essays.
You’ll also receive materials on:
- Writing for maximum points
- Managing working and studying
- Handling stress during the study period and on test day
- Memorizing the law effectively
Finally, you’ll have access to a full set of guided meditations prepared specifically for students studying for a bar exam, to help you stay focused and productive, whatever challenges arise.
Ready to Get Started?
To get immediate access to all of the useful resources in the FYLSE Self-Study Program, select your preferred option below. If you’d like discounted access to Adaptibar or to Smart Bar Prep’s FYLSE outlines, you can add those on the next page.
California Self-Study Options
What You Get
- Access to all FYLSE Self-Study materials, including:
- Detailed full-time and part-time study schedule templates, which you can modify for your personal needs
- Strategies and exercises to improve your essay writing skills
- Advice on effectively memorizing the law
- Practical tips for wellness during FYLSE prep and on exam day
- A full set of guided meditations created especially for bar exam students
- Access to all FYLSE Brainy Bar Bank materials, including:
- All FYLSE essay questions (more than 70 questions total) from 2012 to the present
- A frequency analysis for the most commonly tested legal categories and topics overall
- A frequency analysis for the most commonly tested topics in each legal category
- The ability to favorite questions and see which ones you've viewed
- The ability to easily find practice questions on specific topics and see what's most commonly tested
- Access to all FYLSE WOW course materials, including:
- Carefully selected practice problems, chosen from frequently-tested topics
- An introductory video lecture covering the substantive area of law in the practice problem at a high level, along with subject-specific attack plans
- A video lecture covering the specific law needed for this question
- An outlining video, showing you how to construct a solid pre-writing outline
- A wrap-up video of "must haves" for a passing answer
- A Bar Exam Toolbox sample answer, to help you evaluate your work
- A countdown timer to help you pace yourself and stay within the time limits
- 3 practice essay questions, videos, and sample answers (one in each of Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts)
- Access to the FYLSE-specific Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop
- Video explanations and paired multiple-choice practice questions (5 for Contracts and Torts and 3 for Criminal Law)
- A customized study schedule, created by the Bar Exam Toolbox for you
- (Optional) Access to one season of AdaptiBar Baby Bar version
- (Optional) Access to Smart Bar Prep's FYLSE outlines
- Silver: Get access to all Self-Study materials
- Add On
- Add On
- Gold: Add a personalized study schedule
- Add On
- Add On
If you’d like discounted access to Adaptibar or to Smart Bar Prep’s FYLSE outlines, you can add those on the next page.
What have previous FYLSE students said about Toolbox?
Law School Toolbox/Bar Exam Toolbox is the reason I passed the Baby Bar. I highly recommend using their tutoring services for anything and all things law school-related. I feel grateful to have been able to continue and finish law school because of this amazing team. Law School Toolbox/Bar Exam Toolbox is the answer. You will not be disappointed – N
If you have any questions about what’s right for you, please feel free to contact us and we’d be happy to help! If you’re interested in FYLSE tutoring, please visit our FYLSE tutoring page to learn more.
Best of luck on the Baby Bar!