At the Bar Exam Toolbox, we’re always on the lookout for top-notch bar exam tutors!
- We are currently hiring for bar exam tutors to support students in California and in states using the UBE (MEE and MPT).
If you’re interested in working with us, please read on.
We work with bar takers across the country to help them find bar exam success. Many of our students have already failed the bar exam at least once.
Our tutors aim to empower each student with the skills and knowledge necessary to get the best possible results, without needless stress and anxiety. We’re not into fear mongering, and prefer to compassionately help students navigate this difficult process.
- Are location-independent and make their own schedules. All work is done virtually, so a reliable internet connection is a must. All tutors must be comfortable with basic technology, including Skype, Dropbox, and Google Docs.
- Are highly compensated on an hourly basis for one-on-one tutoring and, optionally, for writing relevant content and helping with course creation and course-related student feedback.
- Receive intensive training and materials before working with students.
- Typically work part time, and may have other (non-related) jobs as well. It’s a great opportunity for a lucrative side hustle!
Tutoring tasks include:
- Working with students one-on-one via phone or video chat to understand the substantive law and for skill development.
- Providing written feedback on student work, including essay responses, outlines, and other study materials.
- Helping create accountability for students throughout the study period.
- Being a supportive ear in times of trouble.
Other tasks may include:
- Writing blog posts on topics related to bar exam success.
- Assisting in the development or review of course materials.
- Providing feedback on assignments for students enrolled in one of the Bar Exam Toolbox courses.
What Are We Looking For?
If you were born to teach (but somehow ended up in law school), we want to talk to you!
Specifically, we’re looking for:
- Attorneys who have passed either the California Bar and/or the bar exam in a state that used the MEE, MPT, or the UBE.
- Extensive, on-going teaching experience, in or out of the legal/law school context. (Experience as a law school TA, legal writing instructor, law school faculty or adjunct faculty is a bonus, but isn’t required.)
- Experience as a practicing attorney, of any type, even if it is for a short period of time.
- An excellent law school track record at a U.S. law school. (School pedigree is less critical than what and how you did while you were there). Bonus points for having been a law journal editor. A JD from a U.S. law school is required.
- Creative, empathetic, and student-focused tutors, who are eager to learn and explore new ways to help students succeed.
- The ability to work independently and virtually (without extensive ongoing supervision) and sufficient flexibility to accommodate the schedules of busy bar students in different time zones, as well as the desire to do this on an ongoing basis (this is not a temporary position).
Ready to Apply?
We are recruiting bar exam tutors for California and for UBE (MPT + MEE) states, with a primary focus on California at this time.
If you’re interested in bar exam tutoring, please:
- Fill out this short questionnaire.
- Upload your résumé and completed questionnaire on our hiring submission page.
We’ll be accepting applications from bar exam tutors on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible.
If you have questions on any aspect of our hiring process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at: Alison@barexamtoolbox.com and Lee@barexamtoolbox.com. We encourage applications from a wide variety of candidates and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Thank you for your interest!