The Bar Exam Toolbox takes a one-on-one approach to test preparation. Our team believes that working with a tutor on an individual basis can help students study smarter by creating targeted test preparation approaches that will lead to better bar exam results.
Whether you are taking the bar for the first time and are looking to supplement a classroom program or tackling the test again after getting disappointing results, our team can help you navigate the study process and get ready for the next New York bar exam. We are currently accepting students for July 2019 and beyond.
Retaking the New York Bar Exam
If you are seeking help after a bar failure, it is crucial that you work with a someone who can effectively evaluate what went wrong on your previous bar experience and empower you to be successful in the future.
We believe students are empowered:
- By learning the best way to study based on their individual needs
- By getting detailed and constructive feedback
- By deliberately practicing and improving the skills needed to be successful on exam day
Because we know that bar retakers have different budgets, we offer a range of tutoring and other support options. Please contact us for pricing details and to discuss your individual situation.
Taking the New York Bar Exam for the First Time
It is important to remember that if you are taking a commercial bar review course — it is one course designed to help thousands of people at a time. Not everything may work for you! And if you need different or additional support, you should ask for help!
Many students who have disappointing bar experiences know that things aren’t going well during their first bar preparation period. If that is you, we can help you work on your exam-taking skills and give you the much-needed feedback that many people feel is missing from a commercial bar review experience.
Please contact us to talk about what type of assistance would be useful for you.
Who will you be working with?
You will be working one-on-one with an experienced bar exam tutor who has a deep understanding of the UBE exam (which NY recently switched to) and has lots of experience working with law students and bar exam takers.
What does a typical New York bar exam tutoring program include?
Each one of our tutoring programs is completely customizable. Most students start working with a tutor about 9 weeks before the exam, but we are flexible as to start date. Typical programs include the following:
- Weekly one-on-one tutoring meetings with a Bar Exam Toolbox tutor, feedback on a set number of essays, and feedback on a set number of performance tests
- Feedback on your prior bar exam answers (if applicable)
- A customized study schedule with daily goals and a personalized Trello board to manage the process
- Free access to the AdaptiBar MBE program ($395 value)
- Free access to the Brainy Bar Bank (UBE Essay and PT Practice Bank) ($95 value)
- Free access to the Writing of the Week (“WOW”) Videos ($229 value)
- Free access to the MBE Practice of the Week (“POW”) Videos ($149 value)
- Free access to a SmartBarPrep standard package with substantive outlines and attack plans ($124 value)
- Weekly accountability check-in emails
- Access to our handouts, videos, and other helpful bar resources
If you are curious about our pricing or would like to discuss your individual needs, please drop us a line.
Got some questions? Here are some answers!
We’re always happy to answer your questions! You’ll find frequently asked questions below, but please don’t hesitate to reach out if your question isn’t answered.
- I have failed once, do I really need a tutor?
If you have failed the bar once, the best thing you can do is change your study habits so you don’t have the same experience the second time. It is heartbreaking to hear students who are sitting for the bar a third or fourth time say they just wish they had worked with a tutor earlier and given themselves a better chance at passing. If you have failed, you need to change the way you approach the bar exam and create a new plan for yourself.
- How is this different from classroom bar review courses?
When you work with the Bar Exam Toolbox, your bar preparation focus is about you — what will work best for you as far as study techniques, writing practice, and scheduling. You are not the same as every other person sitting for the bar and we can help you decide the best way to prepare for this test. Classroom bar preparation courses do a great job of covering substantive law. We help you turn that substantive law into passing answers.
- Do you meet in person?
We have been working remotely with bar takers since 2009. Our students don’t feel that anything is lost by working remotely, even if they are located within driving distance of their tutor. Working remotely is the most efficient way to meet with your tutor because you don’t lose any study time to transportation. We meet with students over the phone, Google Hangout, and Skype.
- Do you work with people who are studying while working?
Yes, a number of our bar students are studying while working. In that case, we often recommend spreading one of our standard programs out over a longer time frame, to ensure adequate prep time.
Do you have another question? Contact us and we will get right back to you.
We look forward to helping you find bar exam success!