Welcome back to the Bar Exam Toolbox podcast! Today, we’re talking about defamation — a topic you might see on a Torts essay along with other intentional torts, and sometimes on the MBE as well. We also highlight some of the other intentional torts that are commonly triggered in a defamation fact pattern.
In this episode we discuss:
- The five elements of defamation
- When is a statement of opinion actionable?
- The difference between defamation claims brought by private figures and public figures
- The “slander per se” rule for damages
- Analyzing three fact patterns involving defamation claims
- What are the common defenses to defamation
Thanks for listening!
To listen now, just click on the arrow above.
- Bar Exam Writing Help
- California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, February 2009
- California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, February 2020
- Podcast Episode 87: Listen and Learn — Homicide
- Podcast Episode 88: Listen and Learn – Negligence Per Se
- Podcast Episode 89: Listen and Learn – What Is Hearsay?
- Podcast Episode 91: Listen and Learn – Logical and Legal Relevance
- Podcast Episode 92: Listen and Learn – Subject Matter Jurisdiction
- Podcast Episode 93: Listen and Learn – Constructive Eviction
- Podcast Episode 95: Listen and Learn – Promissory Estoppel
- Podcast Episode 97: Listen and Learn – The Reasonable Person Standard
- Podcast Episode 98: Listen and Learn – The “Battle of the Forms” Under UCC 2-207
- Podcast Episode 101: Listen and Learn – Present Sense Impression vs. State of Mind
- Podcast Episode 102: Listen and Learn – The Statute of Frauds
- Podcast Episode 103: Listen and Learn – Assault and Battery
- Tackling Torts MBE Questions
Prefer to read? Download the Transcript
Did You Like It?
Also, feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Bar Exam Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And, if you don’t want to miss anything, you can sign up for podcast updates!
Thanks for listening!