Welcome back to the Bar Exam Toolbox podcast! This episode is part of our “Listen and Learn” series, where we review substantive areas of the law that you’re likely to encounter on the bar exam. Today we’re talking about supplemental jurisdiction, which you may see as part of a larger Civil Procedure essay question involving jurisdiction, or as a multiple choice question on the MBE.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is supplemental jurisdiction?
- The rules of supplemental jurisdiction and some related examples
- Going through two questions involving jurisdiction, from the July 2012 California bar exam and the February 2015 MEE
- Identifying the original basis of jurisdiction
- How to apply the rules of supplemental jurisdiction to diversity of citizenship and federal cases
Thanks for listening!
To listen now, just click on the arrow above.
- Bar Exam Workshops and Tools
- California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, July 2012
- February 2015 MEE Questions and Analyses
- United Mine Workers of America v. Gibbs, 383 U.S. 715 (1966)
- Podcast Episode 33: Tackling an MEE Civil Procedure Question
- Podcast Episode 72: Tackling a California Bar Exam Essay: Civil Procedure
- Podcast Episode 92: Listen and Learn – Subject Matter Jurisdiction
- Podcast Episode 101: Listen and Learn – Present Sense Impression vs. State of Mind
- Podcast Episode 102: Listen and Learn – The Statute of Frauds
- Podcast Episode 103: Listen and Learn – Assault and Battery
- Podcast Episode 104: Listen and Learn – Intentional Torts: Defamation
- Podcast Episode 105: Listen and Learn – Public and Private Nuisance
- Podcast Episode 107: Listen and Learn – Assumption of Risk (Torts)
- Podcast Episode 108: Listen and Learn – The Commerce Clause
- Podcast Episode 110: Listen and Learn – The Basics of Justiciability (Con Law)
- Law School Toolbox blog: 1L Tip Sheets – Civil Procedure Terms
- Law School Toolbox blog: First-Hand Guide to 1L Courses – Civil Procedure
- Frequently Tested Topics on the California Bar Exam vs the UBE: Civil Procedure
Prefer to read? Download the Transcript
Did You Like It?
Also, feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Bar Exam Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And, if you don’t want to miss anything, you can sign up for podcast updates!
Thanks for listening!