Welcome back! Today, we’re talking about the basics of the bar exam. This episode might send shudders down your spine if you’re a 3L looking to take the bar exam next summer, or perhaps you’re thinking, “Hey, I’m a 1L. Why should I be worrying about this so early?”
Well, the reality is the bar exam is a pretty big deal and is one of the final hurdles to becoming a lawyer. So whether you’re taking the next bar exam or taking it a few years from now, you need to understand the basics, to ensure you prepare effectively and only have to take it once!
(We’re pleased to announce our episodes now contain a transcript, which you’ll find below. Enjoy!)
In this episode we discuss:
- Bar exam basics, especially California and the UBE states
- What the UBE consists of (MPT, MBE, MEE)
- What the performance test covers and how to prepare
- What to expect on the MBE and how to prepare
- Being strategic and matching your bar exam planning to your career objectives
- Questions to ask yourself as you decide which bar exam to take
- The changes coming to the California bar exam
- Should you wait to take the CA bar exam?
- Will CA be harder or easier after the changes?
- Planning ahead for the bar exam as a 1L and 2L
- Other state bar exams you may encounter
- Choosing the right bar review provider and whether you need to buy immediately as a law student
- What are accommodations and how can you get them for the bar exam?
- Should you take bar electives in law school?
- The future of the bar exam
- National Conference of Bar Examiners
- Thinking Ahead to Get Ready for the Bar Exam (podcast)
- The Top 5 Bar Exam Mistakes Podcast (sponsored by Adaptibar – with $55 discount)
- Themis Bar Review
- Lean Sheets
- Sketchy Law
- Can You Pass the Bar Exam Without Taking Barbri
- Bar Exam Tips: Mastering the MBE (podcast)
- Seeking Accommodations in Law School and the Bar Exam
- All our Bar Exam Related Podcasts
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!