If you or someone you love is getting ready to start studying for the February bar exam, you may be wondering what sort of gifts would be a good fit this year for the holidays. Here are a few suggestions for bar exam holiday gift giving.
- Gift certificate for a massage. Nothing says relaxation like a massage. It can help your bar studier deal with stress and just generally feel better. (If you are in San Francisco, here is one massage therapist to consider.)
- Gift certificate to yoga, gym or exercise classes. Many bar studiers find it hard to make time for exercise (although it is an important part of taking care of yourself during your study period). Consider giving a gift certificate for yoga, a local gym or even an exercise class like a bootcamp or Cross Fit (my friend who co-founded SF Cross Fit is actually a lawyer, so she knows what you are going through). Really want to pamper your bar studier? Send a yoga instructor to her home!
- Gift of healthy food. Along with finding time to exercise, it is tough to find time to cook healthy meals and even go to the grocery store. So help your bar studier out with a grocery store gift certificate (perhaps one that delivers). Or sign your bar studier up for a CSA fruit/vegetable box so you know he/she will be eating brain-fueling fruits and vegetables (here is an example of a Bay Area CSA). Or does your area have meal delivery? Healthy meal delivery can help your bar studier eat right (without having to cook meals). (My favorite in the Bay Area is Square Meals.) Do you cook? A great gift would be filling your bar studier’s freezer with easy-to-reheat meals.
- Gift certificate to a favorite coffee place. Because no matter how well you are taking care of yourself, most of us need coffee while studying for the bar exam! You can even get your bar studier a Bar Exam Toolbox mug!
- Pet care. Does your bar studier have a dog that is going to feel neglected during the bar preparation period or during the exam days? Then give a gift certificate for pet care (such as a dog walker or boarding during the exam days).
- Child care. Is your bar studier balancing family life and bar study? If so, a gift certificate for babysitting (or even offering to babysit yourself) will help your bar studier feel better about taking time to study.
- Movie tickets. I personally went to a lot of movies on the weekends during my bar prep. Movies can be a quality distraction after a long day in the library. A book of movie tickets may help your bar studier take a break!
- Getting things done. If you are local, you can offer to help your bar studier with running errands or taking care of things around their home. If you live far away, consider a gift certificate for a service like TaskRabbit.com, where bar studiers can use the money to get help with any number of services including housecleaning.
- Bar trip fund. One of the long-standing traditions of the bar exam is a bar trip (you skip town right after the exam to relax and, for many, return to your normal self). Consider helping pay for or organizing a bar trip for your bar studier to look forward to! This is especially a great gift from a significant other, since it will also allow you time to re-connect with each other after the exam.
- Study tools. Studying for the bar exam is expensive. Students often need to purchase a review course, supplemental course or even tutoring. Offer to help contribute to these costs. Relieving the financial burden of bar prep will help your bar studier cope with stress and have more time to think about studying!
Have any other great ideas for gifts? Leave them in the comments.
Getting ready to study for the bar exam? Join our mailing list!
And check out these helpful posts:
- Help! I failed the bar exam.
- Figuring out what went wrong.
- Can meditation help you study for the bar exam?