The Bar Exam Toolbox team developed the Self-Study Program to help you manage your own study without buying an expensive commercial bar review course, which may not even suit your personal needs.
We’ve taken the knowledge gained from 9+ years of helping bar studiers find bar exam success and created this program with tools and resources to help you formulate your study plan, learn the substantive law, write passing essays and performance tests, and keep your cool on test day.
Ready to go? Click here to sign up.
What Does the Self-Study Program Include?
The Self-Study Program is designed to include everything a dedicated self-studier needs to pass. Here’s what’s included.
Help with your study plan:
- You’ll fill out and submit a detailed self-evaluation
- You’ll get written feedback and targeted advice on your study plan from one of our bar exam experts
Access to the substantive materials and practice problems you’ll need, including:
- Writing of the Week (WOW) Workshop ($229 value)
- Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop (a $149 value)
- Brainy Bar Bank (MEE and MPT) ($95 value)
- A complimentary copy of Lean Sheets substantive outlines ($79.95 value)
- (Optional) Discounted access to AdaptiBar (for MBE prep)
- (Optional) Have the Bar Exam Toolbox team prepare your custom study schedule and Trello board for you
Our team’s advice for bar success, including:
- An overview of the bar exam you’ll be taking
- Strategies for reviewing your past exam answers, if you’re a repeat taker
- Template study schedules that can be customized to fit your needs (screenshot below)
- Tips for using Trello (one our favorite free resources) to create your own study plan and schedule
- Advice if you’re working and studying for the bar exam
- Useful tips for wellness during bar study
You’ll have the following template study schedules to modify for your needs:
The Self-Study Program also provides materials to guide you through learning the law, executing a winning essay and performance test, and rocking the MBE.
Help on Each Section of the Test
The Self-Study Program helps maximize your points on every section of the test:
Learning the Substantive Law
- Techniques for Quickly Learning the Law
- Using Active Learning Techniques in Your Bar Study
- Tips for Studying with Lean Sheets (Lean Sheets are included in the program)
Tips for Essay and Performance Test Preparation
- Where to Find Practice Materials
- Foundational Exercises to Build Skills (on reading fact patterns and outlining a question)
- Writing for Maximum Points
- Strategies for Critically Self-Evaluating Your Work
Preparing for the MBE
- Why the MBE is Challenging
- Studying Effectively for the MBE
- MBE Disasters to Avoid
- Evaluating Your Performance on Multiple Choice Practice
- Template Grid for Tracking MBE Performace
- Using AdaptiBar Effectively (including optional AdaptiBar upgrade)
- Recommended MBE Resources
And, because all the preparation in the world won’t help if you have an exam-day meltdown, there’s a section with checklists for exam-day logistics and advice on keeping your cool if things start to go south in the exam room.
All together, the Self-Study Program has what you need to pass — on your own terms!
Ready to get started? Click here to sign up.
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers!
If your question isn’t answered below, please feel free to contact us and we’re happy to help.
When can I start the Self-Study Program?
The Self-Study Program can be started at any time because the materials are online, on demand. The template study schedules are set up for 16 weeks of part-time study, 8 weeks of part time study + 2 weeks of full-time study, 10 weeks of full-time study, 9 weeks of full-time study, and 8 weeks of full-time study.
Here’s what a study schedule looks like (with weekly and daily goals). You’ll also learn how to easily import your study schedule into Trello, where you can track your progress.
Can someone make my study schedule for me?
Yes! If you’d like the experts at the Bar Exam Toolbox to make your study schedule for you, select the “Add a Custom Study Schedule” add-on when you purchase.
What is the Brainy Bar Bank?
The MEE Brainy Bar Bank collects over 12 years of real MEE bar exam essay questions, more than 160 questions total. Each essay question is categorized by area of law (Torts) and one or more topics and subtopics (Intentional Torts: Assault and Battery). The MPT Brainy Bar Bank collects over 20 years of real MPT bar exam performance test questions, more than 60 questions total.
You can browse by category areas, topics, and subtopics, mark your favorites, view the most- to least-commonly tested areas/topics/subtopics, and easily keep track of which questions you’ve recently seen.
Want to learn more? See a step-by-step description here.
What is the Writing of the Week (WOW) Program?
The WOW program offers guided essay practice on 21 substantive essays and five 90-minute performance tests. Each week’s workshop includes:
- A 10-15 minute substantive video mini-lecture where a Bar Exam Toolbox expert explains how to approach a given substantive bar exam essay. Each week will cover a different substantive area of the law. And you’ll get a downloadable copy of the relevant practice question and/or performance test.
- A timed countdown video to ensure you practice under timed conditions.
- A video round-up lecture where we review the answer and walk you through a self-evaluation to understand how you did.
- A downloadable copy of the model answer.
- A special Bar Exam Toolbox “issue checklist” to help you evaluate whether you raised and discussed the key issues necessary for a passing score.
Ready to Get Started?
To get immediate access to all of the useful resources in the Self-Study Program, select your preferred option below.
What You Get
- Access to all Self-Study materials, including:
- An extensive self-evaluation, to help you structure your bar study
- Detailed daily/weekly study schedule templates, which you can modify for your personal needs
- Feedback from the Bar Exam Toolbox tutors on your study plan
- Strategies and exercises to improve your essay and performance test answers
- A free copy of Lean Sheets bar outlines ($79.95 value), along with practical advice for using these effectively
- Information on how to self-evaluate your work and review any old exam answers
- Best practices for MBE prep, including how to effectively use AdaptiBar
- Practical tips for wellness during bar prep and on exam day
- Access to all Brainy Bar Bank materials, including:
- 12+ years of real MEE questions (more than 160 questions total)
- 20+ years of real MPT questions (more than 60 questions total)
- Frequency analysis for the most commonly tested legal categories, topics, and subtopics
- Frequency analysis for the most commonly tested topics and subtopics in each legal category
- The ability to easily favorite questions and see which ones you've viewed
- The ability to easily find practice questions on specific topics and subtopics
- Access to all WOW course materials, including:
- Carefully selected practice problems, chosen from frequently-tested bar topics
- An introductory video lecture covering the substantive area(s) of law in the practice problem
- A wrap-up video of "must haves" for a passing answer
- A Bar Exam Toolbox post-answer checklist, to help you evaluate your work
- A countdown timer to help you pace yourself and stay within the time limits
- Relevant sample answers for each WOW practice problem
- 21 MEE practice essay questions, videos, and answer keys
- 5 performance test practice questions, videos, and answer keys
- Weekly accountability to ensure you practice writing regularly
- Access to AdaptiBar Simulator and MBE Prep
- Self-Study: Get access to the full UBE Self-Study Program
Self-Study + AdaptiBar
- Add AdaptiBar: Add AdaptiBar at a special discounted price of $350
Got a question? We’re happy to help! Just contact us and ask.
Best of luck on the bar exam!